[b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

Michael Abernathy mabernathy at isot.com
Wed Jun 9 10:19:05 EDT 2004

Thank you for responding. This will my last post on this subject. It has no relevance to Biblical Hebrew and you have not shown enough knowledge of the New Testament to make your comments relevant to that study.
"Even if Jesus existed. . . "  Ok, there have been some scholars in the past who denied the existence of Jesus.  But you are considerably out of date if you think the historicity of the person of Jesus is in serious question.  Historians like Michael Grant might not accept the gospels in their entirety as history but I believe this quote from Grant is relevant, "But above all, if we apply to the New Testament, as we should, the same sort of criteria as we should apply to other ancient writings containing historical material, we can no more reject Jesus' existence than we can reject the existence of a mass of pagan personages whose reality is never questioned." (Jesus: An Historian's Review of the Gospels pp. 199-200).
"Paul was a proselyte at max. . ."  Prior to the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, many scholars were convinced that Paul's Christianity came from Greek Philosophy and religion.  This was largely because Paul used certain words and phrases like "mystery," and "knowledge " in ways that scholars associated with the mystery religions.  Both were found in the Habbakuk Commentary and the Manual of Discipline. Other phrases which were associated with Hellenistic Christianity like "Son of God" were also found in the Dead Sea Scrolls.
I don't doubt that there are those  who would continue to argue your version of how the Christian faith came into existence. However, there are an increasing number of scholars both Christian and Jewish who have concluded that both Paul and Jesus were firmly within the realm of first century Judaism.  See for example  Schalom Ben-Chorim.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy

>>This was discussed millions of times. Even if any Jesus existed, he did not
start a sect. His teaching in the gospels is fully within the Torah. Paul
was a proselyte at the max, and started Christianity by involving gentiles.
By the same token, you cannot call, say, pupils of Gamliel I members of
Gamliel' sect.<<