[b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

George F. Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Wed Jun 9 01:24:36 EDT 2004

As I said before, you have virtually no knowledge of Christianity.
Without any basis whatsoever you declare Paul to have been "a proselyte
at the max, and started Christianity by involving gentiles."  This
despite the record of the NT that he had been a pupil of Gamaliel and
despite his own statement that " If any other man thinks he has reason
for confidence in the flesh, I have more: ?? circumcised on the eighth
day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew born of
Hebrews; as to the law a Pharisee, as to zeal a persecutor of the church,
as to righteousness under the law blameless."   (Philippians 3.4b-6)  You
may add to that the statements of the Apostolic Fathers regarding Paul.
But, of course, you think you know better upon the basis of nothing
whatsoever but your idle speculation.  As to Jesus' existence, I think
that is beyond question.  Nor is it simply Paul who started Christianity.
 I do not state that Jesus himself founded "a sect" as you choose to call
it, but the church was already founded when Paul had his change of heart
regarding Jesus.  Yes, Jesus was a good little Jewish boy and taught
within the Torah -- mostly.  He was, however, also critical of the
situation as he found it and paid the price for that criticism.  The
apostles and the followers which gathered around them then founded the
church based on their teaching of the risen Lord.  It has been quipped
that in the theology of Rudolph Bultmann Christ rose in the KERYGMA, and
perhaps that is true.  This is the mythology of the church.  It is this
mythology which is ever true in contrast to an historical event which was
true once.  Unless you learn more about Christianity and its history, I
suggest that you refrain from making pronouncements which have no basis
in any fact.

gfsomsel