[b-hebrew] Re: Documentary Hypothesis - OT translations

Joe Baker joebaker at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jun 8 19:49:23 EDT 2004

Hi Peter

Yes I was rushing and made a wide generalised and a mistake in the list of
the LXX "omissions".

I should have said that the LXX "omissions" in 1 Samuel 17-18 include
smaller units that make self contained stories (but I believe they once were
part of a single whole). These units are (with the correct listing)

17:12-31
17:41, 48b, 50
17:55-58
18;30, 17-19 (21b)
18:10-11, 12b, 29b

Now I put this forward in the context of the DH. Now, as you know, one of
the main argument of the DH approach is that one can divide the narrative
into its component sources. But one of the counter arguments of the other
side is that not one of these assumed original documents (in any form)
survives as an independent testament to separate sources.

So I put forward LXX 1 Samuel 17-18 and the LXX "omissions" (as reflected in
the MT version) as just such "original" sources - or rather the ancestor
manuscripts from which MT 1 Samuel 17-18 ultimately derived - which were
combined (cut, rearranged, pasted) during the Persian period. (And no I am
not saying that, overall, LXX 1 Samuel is superior to the MT version).

Like the DH we have two sources which were combined together. The retractor
did not use the full text of the LXX "omissions". What was include and
exclude was up to redactor. For example as you point out he did not include
the meeting of Saul and David or the moving of David to the battle front
(maybe because they were already adequately covered in the existing LXX
account). But on the other hand (maybe for dramatic purposes) he did include
parallel material, one such case caused a "double" killing of Goliath.

Like the DH the redactor may rearrange the narrative sequence of one or both
sources - see the above split. And he may also add a phrase to iron out
perceived inconsistencies in the different narratives - see the note on the
valley of Elah in 17:2 and the addition of 18:21b about a second chance to
marry another daughter (no where else is it even hinted that Merab was once
promised to David).

Regards
Joe Baker ===========\
Perth                |