[b-hebrew] The islands

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Jun 8 18:21:27 EDT 2004

On 08/06/2004 10:45, VC wrote:

>I'm referring to the dictionaries of living Hebrew, like Shapiro or
>Steinberg, not a Tanakhic dictionary with speculative interpretations
>instead of the established meanings.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Vadim Cherny

Well, maybe the word has changed its meaning in the last 2500 years or
however many it is since Isaiah and Jeremiah wrote. As someone has
already mentioned, many Shakespearean English words have completely
changed their meanings in just 400 years. These changes happen in every
language. So we need to look at a dictionary of the meanings current in
the original authors' time, not a dictionary of modern Hebrew.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/