[b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

Myshalom777 at aol.com Myshalom777 at aol.com
Tue Jun 8 13:22:39 EDT 2004

vadim_lv at center-tv.net writes:

> >I have run into Jews who are just as tied to theological assumptions that
> restrict their translations as the most unthinking Christian<
> I was talking of a different thing. Jews assume an axiom A (TNK). Christians
> assume axiom A (TNK) + axiom B (NT). Therefore, Christian approach requires
> more assumptions, and is weaker; that doesn't mean that Jewish
> interpretation is perfect.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Vadim Cherny

Vadim ... It can also be the case that the Christian approach requires fewer
assumptions IF it is looked at from the standpoint that the Tanakh by itself
looks like an 'incomplete' work pregnant for different things. No offense
intended to Jewish scholars among us please. That is only my honest position as a
Christian , i will admit.

I realise also that this is a philosophical approach and will also be
rejected out of hand by the textualists out there ; nevertheless i hold it with the
most sincere caveat that the Jewish approach or the Jewish "assumptions" not be
so quickly dissmissed or ruled out .

Such ,unfortunately, has been the lazy habit of Christian tradition for 1600
years ( i date that from Augustine the first notoriously un-Hebraic
replacementist theologian of widespread influence on the Christian tradition). This lazy
or arrogant habit is still very much with us unfortunately, isn't it ? And it
is strong but there are little things happening in the Christian theological
horizon that are starting to chisel away at it. They are very very little
things but it says somewhere "do not despise the day of little things". May the
chiselling continue until we see the ugly statue fall in pieces like the statue
of Nebuchadnezzar's dream [Daniel 2].

Shalom to all,
Celal Berker