[b-hebrew] The islands

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Jun 8 13:11:50 EDT 2004

On 08/06/2004 06:29, VC wrote:

>>Romans were also able to
>>capture Jerusalem, and although they didn't come from an island they did
>>not travel overland.
>>

>What do you mean? Of course, they did. Besides, Romans passed through
>friendly territories, which reinforced them, not drained their resources in
>warfare.

The Roman troops certainly crossed over water at least at the Bosphorus,
and very probably sailed a large part of the way from Italy to Israel. I
don't know the details. Yes, they did pass through friendly territories
and set up bases in them, but their ability to do so was based on their
control of the sea, the Mediterranean.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/