[b-hebrew] The islands

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Tue Jun 8 10:42:53 EDT 2004

Dear Vadim,

>  > >The translation of "coastland" is perfectly reasonable. However, can we
>>  >disregard the established meaning of the word and attach it the sense,
>which
>>  >we think suits it better? This approach can lead as far away.
>>
>>  HH: "Coastland" is a well-established meaning for the word.
>
>Not in the conventional Hebrew dictionaries

HH: I don't know what Hebrew dictionaries you use, but the meaning of
coastland for )Y is certainly in major lexicons. In
Brown-Driver-Briggs the first meaning given for )Y is "coast,
region." Also "border," "islands," "coasts," and "banks" is given.
The lexicon for )YY  HYM gives "coastlands and islands." In the
_Dictionary of Classical Hebrew_ the first meaning given for )Y is
"island." The second meaning is "coast, coastland."

>  > >Besides, the Tanakhic authors had pretty good grasp on geography. They
>>  >probably could distinguish between an island and a coastland, even more
>so
>>  >since a large part of their country was a coastland or very close to it.
>>
>>  HH: Yes, but if the Hebrew word could emphasize land that is in
>>  contact with water, then the distinction between island and coastland
>>  would be immaterial.
>
>Conjecture, again. If you like conjectures, I'll venture another one: why im
>is not jackal? Isaiah calls his enemies dogs, so why not jackals?

HH: The lexicons give "island" and "coastland" as the meaning for
this word, and the meanings share the fact that the land is bounded
by water.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard