[b-hebrew] OT Translations

George F. Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Tue Jun 8 08:36:38 EDT 2004

The answer to this very general question might differ when it comes to
discussing particular passages.  For one thing it depends upon your
definition of irreconcilable differences.  E.g., somse translations are
rather free in finding a problem with the text such as the JPS Tanak
which has 2,000 + cases where they declare the Hebrew uncertain.  Many of
these are not so very uncertain so it would appear that this depends upon
an individual's tolerance for uncertainty.  Another matter is the
question of whether one can establish a general rule that in such cases
the LXX is to be preferred.  Sometimes it would appear that the LXX
translators themselves didn't understand the text.  In other cases they
may have had a different text before them.  Nor do I think that the Sam.
Pent. should be excluded from consideration.  Would you care to propose a
particular passage or a limited list of passages for consideration?

gfsomsel