[b-hebrew] The islands

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Jun 8 06:56:33 EDT 2004

On 08/06/2004 01:54, Reinier de Blois wrote:

>If you want more proof I can refer you to Isaiah 23:2 where the traders
>of Sidon and the inhabitants of the COASTLAND/ISLAND seem to be
>identical.

Reinier, while in general I agree with you, I don't think this example
proves anything. It is at least possible to understand "the inhabitants
of the COASTLAND/ISLAND" as the people of Tyre, which, as Yigal points
out, was an island, with the parallelism being the common one between
Tyre and Sidon, also seen in v.4 where the "fortress of the sea" is
surely Tyre.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/