[b-hebrew] The islands

Reinier de Blois r.de.blois at solcon.nl
Tue Jun 8 03:43:54 EDT 2004

Let us not be misled by the term "islands". The Hebrew word probably has
a wider meaning than that. Coastland may be a much better translation.
Think of Isa. 20:6, for example, which probably refers to Philistea,
Tyrus, or Sidon, some place near Israel. In the later chapters of Isaiah
it may refer to all kinds of Greek and/or Phoenician colonies in the
Mediterranean.

Let us not forget that we have good maps these days. For us the
distinction between islands, peninsulas, and coastlands is relevant. I
doubt whether it had the same relevance for the writer of
deutero-Isaiah.

Best wishes,

Reinier de Blois