[b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Jun 7 15:01:35 EDT 2004

Vadim:

Believe it or not, I have trouble reading Shakespeare. The grammar is slightly different and there are hundreds of lexemes that have either dropped out of modern use (not so bad, just look up a dictionary) or changed their definitions (can be really bad, because one thinks he understands the text, but in reality he misunderstands it, often making the text incomprehensible in its context). Therefore, if the only reason for a non-English speaking student to study English is to read Shakespeare, would he be better off learning modern English first, then the differences between Shakespearean and modern English, or only Shakespearean English so that all his thought patterns as he studies Shakespeare are consistent with the English as it was used at that time?

And the differences between modern and Shakespearean English are far less than the differences between Biblical and modern Hebrew.

When I look at Hebrew, I expect certain patterns, I expect certain ways of writing, certain definitions and certain spellings, that are more similar to ancient Aramaic (as found in Daniel and Ezra), a language so different that people speaking one could not understand the other, than they are to modern Hebrew. The differences appear to me less like the differences between modern to Shakespearean English and more like the differences between modern English and Anglo-Saxon, or at least Chaucerian English.

Karl W. Randolph.