[b-hebrew] Verbal Root - CHET-RESH-MEM

Reinier de Blois r.de.blois at solcon.nl
Mon Jun 7 14:23:55 EDT 2004

Dear Chris,

I doubt whether Ch-R-M is part of the same semantic domain as "to curse"
at all, even though some translations render CHEREM as "curse" in some
contexts. It may be closer to Q-D-SH (see Lev. 27:21,28; Num 18:14).

By the way, since CH-R-M means death for living creatures the idea of
being separated from God is not entirely absent.

Best wishes,

Reinier