[b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Mon Jun 7 08:08:40 EDT 2004

Dear Vadim,

>  >For me the text is paramount, theology be damned.<
>This ideal is unrealizable when we have to choose the plausible meanings out
>of several grammatically possible.
>
>>  I have run into Jews who are just as tied to theological assumptions that
>restrict their translations as the most unthinking Christian<
>I was talking of a different thing. Jews assume an axiom A (TNK). Christians
>assume axiom A (TNK) + axiom B (NT). Therefore, Christian approach requires
>more assumptions, and is weaker; that doesn't mean that Jewish
>interpretation is perfect.

HH: The fact that the Christian approach requires more assumptions
does not necessarily make it weaker. The most simple idea is not
always correct. It may overlook some important fact. The claim of
Christianity is that God was giving new revelation through Jesus
Christ. The claim is that he was a prophet and in fact the Messiah
prophesied in the OT. So the addition you speak of, "axiom B," could
actually be more truth and so could help one to understand the other
truth ("axiom A") better.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard