[b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

Noam Eitan bhebrew at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 6 18:54:12 EDT 2004

It’s strange to see Yehezkel Kaufmann’s name again. They shoved him down our throats in high-school. It was at that point that I developed an allergy to the documentary hypothesis, be it J-E-D-P (Wellhausen) or J-E-P-D (Kaufmann.) IIRC, he argued that Yehezkel (the prophet) had catatonic schizophrenia – why do they teach teenagers this staff? (I suppose to stick it to the rabbis.) What a relief it was to discover Umberto Cassuto. I had felt at the time, in my adolescent mind, that Koyfmann basically tore the Bible to pieces and implied it was written/edited by psychotic morons, whereas Cassuto restored the integrity of the text in all its glory. What a shame he died without completing his work. If it weren’t for Cassuto I would have given up on the Bible.

Noam Eitan, Brooklyn, NY

"Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf at beitberl.ac.il> wrote: <snip> Until this very day, many, if not most biblical scholars are ignorant about
the ideas of yehezkel Kaufmann, because he wrote his magnum opus, A History of Israelite Religion, in Hebrew.