[b-hebrew] Gen 1:2

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Sat Jun 5 11:11:44 EDT 2004

Dora:

You need to get out of your mind that it refers to flight. Then it makes sense in its contexts. The eagle (and some other mother birds too for that matter) settles down on its nest on its chicks when they are small. In the context of a depressed person (as Jeremiah indicates he was), his limbs (bones) are settled down and remain still because the depressed person lacks the energy to move them. Same action. Then in Genesis 1:2 we have God‘s Spirit settling down and resting on the face of the waters. Same action. As far as I can tell, we don‘t have a term in English that exactly corrosponds to the Hebrew RXP, but a workable translation for all three uses would be ”rest“.

Karl W. Randolph.