[b-hebrew] Gen 1:2

david.kimbrough at charter.net david.kimbrough at charter.net
Fri Jun 4 23:47:50 EDT 2004

Dora,

Well to begin with, as was noted by Karl, in Deuteronomy 32
the verb (RXP  - Piel - imperfect) is used to describe the
an eagle landing on or taking off from it?s nest, which
although it is a large bird, will hover (or flutter)
momentarily as it settles down or takes off.  The imperfect
implies an incomplete action, which matches how an eagle
hovers. There is a gentleness implied as the eagle taking
off from  her nest, so not to harm her brood. So if ruwakh
is read as spirit, and the verb ((RXP  - Piel ? participle)
is then *had been hovering* over the surface of the waters.
The participle would seem imply an unbroken continuity of
action, like God and unlike the take off of an eagle, which
is momentary. That is not too wild a reading I think.

However, ruwakh can also be breath or wind.  So maybe
instead of God?s spirit, it is God?s breath that flutters
figuratively and gently over the face of the water.  I for
one have never understood the difference between God and
God?s spirit.  This reading is certainly less conventional.

> From: "Dora Smith" <villandra at austin.rr.com>
> Date: 2004/06/04 Fri PM 11:42:46 GMT
> To: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph at email.com>,
>         "Hebrew" <b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 1:2
>
> Keepijng the eggs warm?!   It has to make sense in
context, folks!

> Seriously, this wouldn't be the place where the Bible
mentions dry bones
> rattling or dancing around, would it?
>
> So what would be your idea of what the Spirit of God did?
Glided?  (Eagles
> do that.)
>
> Yours,
> Dora Smith
> Austin, Texas
> villandra at austin.rr.com

the definition of
> RXP.
> >
> > In Deuteronomy 32 it is used for an eagle, which is a
big, heavy bird,
> which doesn't hover (except possibly metaphorically). In
Jeremiah it is used
> of bones when he was dejected.
> >
> > Peter Kirk found a source in a cognate language that
indicates that RXP
> refers to nesting. Thus we can see the action of the
eagle settling itself
> on its young while they are still small, to keep them
warm. Similarly, when
> a person is depressed, as Jeremiah indicates he was, his
bones felt heavy
> like lead set down and not to be moved. And the first of
the three uses has
> the Spirit of God settling down upon the cold, hard,
lifeless and still ball
> that was the earth.
> >
> > Karl W. Randolph.

hovering, as in what a
> bird
> > > does over a nest.
> > >
> > > It says, "the root of this verb is [rosh chet pey]",
meaning "hover
> over"
> > > such as a bird does over the nest.  The leter Tet
indicates thius verb
> is
> > > feminine singular (she) perfect tense.  The letter
"s" is a type of verb
> > > conjugation to be discussed later. (this always
helps)  This verb can
> > > literally be translated as "she did hover".  The
"She" of this word is