[b-hebrew] Documentary Hypothesis & Genesis 6:3

david.kimbrough at charter.net david.kimbrough at charter.net
Fri Jun 4 23:15:57 EDT 2004

Julie

Not to make you sick, but after reviewing some notes it
seems that Gen 6:3 is actually an E portion, not P (my
bad).  The prevailing theory is that E was a bible for
Isreal and J was a bible for Judah.

One theory on Genesis 6:3 is that Isreal referred to God as
Elohim and Judah referred to God as Yahweh.  After David
conquored Isreal, the Isrealites agreed or were forced to
refer to God as Yahweh.  About three generations later,
Isreal broke free from Judah after Solomon's death.  The
theory is that both J and E were composed at this time.
The author of E uses Gen 6:3 as an explanation of why
Isrealites once referred to God as Elohim but now used the
name Yahweh.

An alternate theory is that when J and E were combined, the
editor (redactor) inserted these lines to make the
transistion from the Elohim to Yahweh.

That is what I read any way.

> From: "Julie Devall" <krena_li_mara at hotmail.com>
> Date: 2004/06/05 Sat AM 12:02:26 GMT
> To: b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: [b-hebrew] Documentary Theory ad nauseum
>
> Michael, David, etc
>
> Is Exodus 6:3 then the pivotal text which is written by
"P" to explain the
> different names given by J-E before him?  Or is there a
different way to

______
> Watch the online reality show Mixed Messages with a
friend and enter to win
> a trip to NY
> http://www.msnmessenger-download.click-url.com/go/
onm00200497ave/direct/01/