[b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Jun 4 01:33:57 EDT 2004

Michael:

One of the problems in trying to date the development of Biblical Hebrew is the limited corpus that is presented to us. It is too limited for us to make a good determination.

For example, when looking at the Gezar calendar, I found the word (CD עצד which is not found in Tanakh. From the context, it looks like a verb, probably meaning to ret, a common term in flax growing country, as ancient Israel was. I then ask, how many other common terms in society never made it into Tanakh? How many terms were used in Ugaritic, but never made it into Tanakh until a late writer, if at all?  How many of the differences that we notice are merely dialectal? We need many more examples of writing before we can make that determination.

Karl W. Randolph.