[b-hebrew] Gen 1:2

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Jun 4 00:27:08 EDT 2004

Dora:

One of my first questions after joining this group was the definition of RXP.

In Deuteronomy 32 it is used for an eagle, which is a big, heavy bird, which doesn‘t hover (except possibly metaphorically). In Jeremiah it is used of bones when he was dejected.

Peter Kirk found a source in a cognate language that indicates that RXP refers to nesting. Thus we can see the action of the eagle settling itself on its young while they are still small, to keep them warm. Similarly, when a person is depressed, as Jeremiah indicates he was, his bones felt heavy like lead set down and not to be moved. And the first of the three uses has the Spirit of God settling down upon the cold, hard, lifeless and still ball that was the earth.

Karl W. Randolph.