[b-hebrew] Gen 1:2

Dora Smith villandra at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 3 21:52:24 EDT 2004

In context, doesn't one have to insert the verb to be?   And "the wind IS
hovering over the face of the deep" doesn't make alot of sense.

How is the verb a participle?

Seriously, in answer to the original question, the creativity the authors
used in coming up with the words to these first two verses is why the great
difference in translations.   The two nouns-made-up-from-verbs for empty
void don't translate exactly into English, to begin with.   And the concept
of deep sea for primordial chaos or nothingness is half metaphor.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas
villandra at austin.rr.com