[b-hebrew] Pentateuch authorship inconsistencies - DH

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Thu Jun 3 21:22:04 EDT 2004

Dear Patrina,

>I agree. Additionally, it would be anachronistic for Deut 16:22 to have
>been written by the same author as Genesis 28:22, for example.
>
>Deut 16:22 - Neither shall you set thee up [any] {'mastebah'} pillar;
>which YHWH your Elohim hates.
>
>Gen 28:22 - And this stone {eben}, which I have set [for] a 'matsebah',
>shall be Elohim's house: and of all that you shall give me I will surely
>give a tenth to You.
>
>It also would be a very strange thing for Joshua (who was tutored by
>Moses) to do, if he knew of/understood a divine authorship of the command
>in Deut 16:22.
>
>Josh 24:26 - And Joshua wrote these words in the book of the law of
>Elohim, and took a great stone {eben}, and set it up there under an oak,
>that [was] by the sanctuary of YHWH {bmiqdash YHWH}.
>
>'bmiqdash YHWH' - IN the sanctuary of YHWH?

HH: This solution will not work, since Joshua was
alive at the same time as Moses, and he was
supposed to keep the law that Moses wrote.
Another idea, which goes against the translations
I just checked, is that the relative clause in
Deut 16:22 is a restrictive clause: "And you must
not set up a matsebah pillar that the Lord your
God hates." So there would be the kind of pillar
that He hates, in contrast with the kind He does
not hate. A third possibility is that in context
the word in Deuteronomy carried connotations of
paganism. The previous verse suggests such a
connotation:

Deut. 16:21 ¶ Do not set up any wooden Asherah
pole beside the altar you build to the LORD your
God,

Since the Asherah pole was associated with pagan
idol worship, probably the matsebah pillar
mentioned in Deut 16:22 was, too.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard