[b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics

Brian Roberts formoria at carolina.rr.com
Thu Jun 3 16:51:05 EDT 2004

Karl,

Your position seems intellectually fair and honest to me.

There are several points last Fall during my read of Richard Eliott
Friedman's "Who Wrote the Bible?" where I was overcome with incredulity.
It was my first in-depth introduction to the DH (beyond Tullock's "The
Old Testament Story" back in college), and I'm certain that there are
many more explanations available than he was able to fit in those pages.
Yet, as highly regarded a scholar as he is, I imagine that his summaries
are accurate. Reading Friedman's history of the DH, I was struck by a
sense of artificial convenience. Identifying the "Book of the Law" with
Deuteronomy feels like an artifice. So does the idea of separating the
texts into YHWH and Elohim threads. Further splitting those threads into
Priestly and Redactor sub-threads (as Friedman did) seems impossibly
hypothetical and impossible to verify.

A convenient artifice upon which to refute any theory which purports to
take the Hebrew Bible at more or less face value.

Best Salaams,

Brian Roberts