[b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Thu Jun 3 16:24:07 EDT 2004

Brian:

By the time Wellhausen or whomever made the claim that the book of the law that was found in the temple was Deuteronomy, he was working on seven decades (assuming this was the 1870s) of development on what became known as the JEPD theory.

I don’t see how it is defendable that it was the book of Deuteronomy. Why not another book? Why a book at all, having the story of the book of the law being found a later gloss to authenticate a recent composition as ancient by the same authors who penned Deuteronomy in the fifth century BC? When one has taken the à priori decision that Tanakh as a historical document is less trustworthy than the admittedly untrustworthy Egyptian records, then anything goes.

I am one of those who reject the JEPD theory. I view it as hopelessly compromised by its theological presuppositions. I get an impression of more than a whiff of anti-Semitism in its treating of ancient Jewish credulity in believing the accuracy of Tanakh’s historical claims, and in their simplicity of calling God by one term only until fairly late in their history when disparate elements were fused together to make what we have today.

By the time of Wellhausen and his collegues, the rather open admission of evolutionary presuppositions of the early 1800s had been replaced by supposed lines of cultural and linguistic development (Gesenius was a major figure here), though still based on the same presuppositions.

Who doubts the historicity of Thucidites record of the Peloponesian Wars? There is no archeological evidence to back his record up. It is the only record of those wars that we have. He did not write it as a history, rather as an analysis of what went on in their heads as the various parties fought the war. Or how about Xenephon’s Anabasis? That was published as a rollicking good tale.

So, unless there is good evidence that the records are untrustworthy (such as the ancient Egyptian practice of rewriting history to aggrandize the present ruling pharaoh, internal inconsistancies and/or conflicting reports from other sources), I tend within reason to assume that ancient records are basically trustworthy. That includes Tanakh. Philosophical presuppositions are not a valid reason to reject the historicity of the documents.

Furthermore, I percieve a pattern of linguistic development consistent with the claimed dates.

Karl W. Randolph.