[b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics

Michael Abernathy mabernathy at isot.com
Thu Jun 3 09:30:56 EDT 2004

    Actually, I did not suggest that the texts were all written at one time and place.  I suggested that discernable lingusitic differences should exist and that it should be possible to find evidence of that in the text. I proposed looking at those areas where scribes misinterpreted some passage because of linguistic change because I believe those who do not accept an early origin for any part of the Hebrew Bible would assume that some of the differences were deliberate imitation of earlier texts to make them look ancient.  Others appeared to suggest that the Hebrew language was homogenous. I reject that.  My speculation concerning the time and place of writing was in response to the idea that the language was homogenous. In essence, I was saying that it would be unnatural for Biblical Hebrew to be free of dialectal differences. I proposed some possible explanations for why Biblical Hebrew could be uniform, but I rejected them.  I argued and continue to argue that we do find differences in the text due to language development and regional variations in usage.
Such differences should contribute some small amount of evidence concerning the origin of the text.  If as others seemed to suggest, no differences in the language exist, then that also suggests something concerning the origin of the text.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy

>   This may have been so, but, some would say, more likely not have
> been so. In short, sheer speculation, like much that has been
> speculated on this subject.
>
>   Uri

Absolutely. My point is that my speculation is no less likely than
Michael's that the texts were all written at one time and place, and we
have no way of knowing which is true.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/