[b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Jun 3 09:00:14 EDT 2004

On 02/06/2004 17:46, George F. Somsel wrote:

>Harold,
>
>At the risk of opening a can of worms, I think Peter and Uri were
>referring to JEDP and the Documentary Hypothesis.  According to this
>Deuteronomy was "found" in the temple and was the impetus for the
>Josianic reforms.  It was, shall I say, an "occassional piece", i.e.
>written for the occassion.  The histories were then written upon the
>program of Deuteronomy with the centralized sanctuary, etc.
>
>What some say may not have been so that Uri referenced is that not all
>agree to the Documentary Hypothesis.

I was not referring to the Documentary Hypothesis, but deliberately left
the issue open of when Deuteronomy might have been written. But, whether
it was written in Moses' or Josiah's time, or any other time, there is
at least a good chance that other books were written by different people
at a later time who copied the style of Deuteronomy. It is not provable,
I know, but it is a possibility which disproved Michael's argument that
all of the book were written at the same time and place.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/