[b-hebrew] WAV Conjunction

George Athas gathas at hotkey.net.au
Thu Jun 3 08:00:37 EDT 2004

Hi Noam!

Aspect is basically about the speaker's perspective (ie, aspect) of the action. It takes in more information that just tense (timing). One way to put it is how the action is positioned in relation to the speaker. It allows you to answer the following questions:

- When did the action occur?
- Does the speaker convey a detailed or non-detailed view of the action?
- Does the speaker consider the action to be a background action or a foreground action?

You might like to think of aspect as providing you with a 'camera angle' on the actions, not just a chronology of them.

I hope that makes some sense.

Best regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Lecturer in Biblical Languages