[b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics

Michael Banyai Banyai at t-online.de
Thu Jun 3 03:26:00 EDT 2004

OK Peter,

I understand you. In this form does your opinion make sense. I have my own opinion too, which could explain some of the problems Michael formulated, but in a different way.

The mentioned worked are not created ex-nihil, but by a procedure of largely pasting and glueing together by shorter more recent connectiont texts of the hand of the editor of older texts. The result would be a text displaying chronological features of different writing periods of the paragraphs. Probably did some editing modernised some entirely anachronistical features of a text.

See in Samuel the long lexical explanations given to the use of the word "seer" (like in the Balaam inscription) instead of the modern "prophet". The editor is well-knowing his reader could have problems with the older term, he decides to preserve it, but offers a gloss.

So I prefer replacing the concept about the "writers" of the biblical texts with that of the editors, which had much greater influence on the outlook of the texts, as one would normaly concede to an "editor".

All the best,

Bányai Michael