[b-hebrew] WAV Conjunction

Noam Eitan bhebrew at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 2 21:50:43 EDT 2004

Dear George,

Thanks for this summary. I have despaired of making sense of BH verbal system. There are places that tolerate the concept of past and future tenses, particularly narratives; in others, mostly in the prophets, when I try to play with switching verbs form past to future or infinitive and step back to get the feel of it, it looks like "anything goes", as long as you don't use the same conjugation repetitively (which would indicate emphasis.) The perfect/imperfect concept doesn't help me at all and I feel is foreign to BH. Can someone summarize for me the concept of "aspects" or refer me to an online source? I don't understand this concept - maybe that's where the money is -  Noam Eitan, Brooklyn, NY

George Athas <gathas at hotkey.net.au> wrote:
Hi Chris!

As you've picked up, the WAW CONSECUTIVE is a very prickly subject in Biblical Hebrew. The problems do not all come down to the WAW CONSECUTIVE, though -- there are other peripheral issues involved.

Essentially, let me outline the old school of thought, and then outline some new currents.