[b-hebrew] Ezeliel 36:3 (from SHaMeM to SHaMoT)?

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Wed Jun 2 09:05:51 EDT 2004

Hi Chris,

I don't think anyone responded to your query, so let me take a try.

shamem is not a strong root.  It is a geminate root (having "twins" for the
second and third radicals).  Geminates, as a class, sometimes demonstrate
idiosyncracies that leave them looking like hollow or third he roots in
certain forms, but there is a high degree of variation from geminate root to
geminate root (and sometimes even within the same form of the same root!).
The word shammot in Ez 36:3 is a qal infinitive that represents the doubled
mem with a dagesh, but has the -ot ending that we expect on the infinitive
of a third he root.  I think there are a few geminate roots whose qal
infinitives have this -ot ending.

Shalom, Bryan

> Dear All,
>
> Ezekiel 36:3  QAL VERB: shin-mem-mem;  I have a list that says; the verb
in
> this sentence is taken from SHiMeM which I thought was a feminine noun.
Yet
> Shoshan lists it as a QAL VERB.  Added to all this How did we get from a
> strong verb in qal perfect to SHaMoT with this conjugation?
>
> thankyou, Chris.

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church
6101 Court St. Rd.