[b-hebrew] Exod.6:20

Tony Costa tmcos at rogers.com
Tue Jun 1 19:42:44 EDT 2004

Dear Friends, I was puzzled when I came across Exod.6:20 (LXX) in which Amram is said to take Jochebed as his wife who is described as the daughter of his father, and hence, his cousin. However, the MT has Amram taking Jochebed who is the sister of his father, making her his aunt! This may be a question outside the domain of b-hebrew but I was wondering why the differences between these two texts. Is the LXX the original reading or is it attempting to soften the MT? Many thanks.

Tony Costa