[b-hebrew] Jerusalem, city or land?

Tony Costa tmcos at rogers.com
Sat Jul 31 20:29:47 EDT 2004

I hope this is not too off topic, but I was puzzled to read in Geza Vermes. 'The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English' (New York: Penguin Books, 1997) on p.566 where he translates "A Jeremiah Apocryphon" (4Q384-5B). The beginning line starts off, "...Jeremiah the Prophet [departed] from before the Lord (YHWH)...[to accompany the] the captives who were taken from the land of Jerusalem and came [to...Nebuchadnezzar,] king of Babel..." I am puzzled by the expression "land of Jerusalem". Jerusalem is a city, and always designated as such at least in the MT. I am wondering if anyone has a clue as to why Jerusalem is designated as "land" here? Thanks.

Tony Costa