[b-hebrew] BLG in Jer. 8:18

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Jul 30 18:41:08 EDT 2004

Yigal:

That is one word that has puzzled me as well.

First, outside of being a personal name, it is used only five times in
Tanakh. Secondly, each time it is used, it is in hiphil, indicating
that we should look for a causitive meaning for it. When I looked up
in the dictionaries I have, they concurred with the Arabic meaning of
brightening up or becoming cheerful, but none of the contexts indicate
that that is the correct meaning. In fact, each of the contexts
indicate almost the opposite meaning.

In the Job passages as well as Jeremiah, if it means cheering up, it
is of the type of "eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die"
forced cheer. In such a way it could be taken as a derivitive of "to
break out (in joy)" tying it in with Amos "causing violence to break
out upon the strong".

Like you, I'm puzzled.

Karl W. Randolph.