[b-hebrew] Rohl's Chronology Deconstructed

Brian Roberts formoria at carolina.rr.com
Tue Jul 27 07:47:04 EDT 2004

On Monday, July 26, 2004, at 03:51  PM, MarianneLuban at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/26/2004 11:17:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> formoria at carolina.rr.com writes:
>

>>> Given the tendancy of Ramesses II for self-glorification, if he had
>>> conquered
>>> Jerusalem, we would have heard about it.  After all, he boasted plenty
>>> about
>>> the Battle of Kadesh--and that was not even a true victory for the
>>> Egyptians but
>>> a kind of "draw"--where neither side really gained much.
>>
>> Do the pharaohs ever defy our expectations?
>

> History, as we know it from any era, is not about "expectations".  All
> we
> know about any ruler in ages long past comes from his own recorded
> deeds or the
> observations of someone else who had something to contribute.  But when
> there
> is plenty of evidence, a definite picture emerges about the character,
> aims,
> and proclivities of any given king.

Tendencies, proclivities, character, aims. It sounds terribly nebulous
and too subject to manipulation over time by those writing the papers.
After a hundred years of it, you end up with an accepted expectation,
based on the above. Logic dictates that our knowledge of history is not
a complete corpus. Therefore we must be careful with how we apply our
models and profiles.

Best Salaams,

Brian