[b-hebrew] a climbing or raisin vine?

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Jul 26 22:08:43 EDT 2004

To All:

These arguments about times and dates can go on forever because the surviving records are so fragmentary and assumptions are made that cannot be proven either way. To top it, there is the possibility of transmission errors to mess up even the surviving records. I never heard of Rohl before a few days ago, yet I noticed that there are problems with the standard accepted dates as well: for example, I think it is possible that the PLST among the Sea Peoples were Philistine mercenaries who did not want to live under Israeli control, so when the Sea Peoples were defeated, the PLST were allowed to return home. The surviving records can’t disporove that theory, nor prove them, so I see no purpose in arguing the case. So let’s get back to a linguistic question.

While perusing through Hosea, I noticed )$Y$ אשיש in 3:1 seems to indicate a vine which in Isaiah 16:7 sounds like a climbing vine [ )$Y$Y QYR  אשישי קיר], as different from a standard GPN גפן sprawled out on the ground. From this the ancients made raisin cakes אשישה mentioned in 2 Samuel 6:19, Song of Songs 2:5 and 1 Chronicles 16:3. The masculine use of the noun refers to the vine, while the feminine to the sweet cakes. Or is it that a different variety of grapes were grown for raisins, not wine, just as presently here in California, so this refers to that variety of grape vine? Any thoughts?

Karl W. Randolph.
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm