[b-hebrew] 1450 BCE Exodus ?

Brian Roberts formoria at carolina.rr.com
Mon Jul 26 17:30:14 EDT 2004

Marianne,

I understand we cannot attest to the complete original meaning of the
list of Sheshonq I, however, the HB states that King Rehoboam fortified
14 cities in the hill country west of Jerusalem, and that the Egyptians
captured these 14 cities. Of those 14 cities, the only one that survives
on Sheshonq's list is Aijalon.

That leaves Bethlehem unattested in the Shoshenq I campaign record.
And Etam,
And Tekoa,
And Bethzur,
And Hebron,
And Ziph,
And Adoraim,
And Lachish,
And Mareshah,
And Moresheth-Gath,
And Adullam,
And Socoh,
And Azekah,
And Zorah.

Not to mention Jerusalem. It is plausible that we could be missing 1 or
2 cities from the list. In fact, we  know that three cities' names are
lost to us. But 14? Including the prize Jerusalem? This approaches
unbelievability.

There are 39 other legible cities listed there. It is clear that the
focus of the campaign (based on the accident of preservation) was the
Negev, Israel , southern Galilee and Gilead.

I don't see wisdom in assuming that all those 14 cities were originally
included in Sheshonq's list.

Best Salaams,

Brian Roberts