[b-hebrew] 'will be established' 1 Sam 24:20 [H 21]

C. Stirling Bartholomew jacksonpollock at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 25 23:01:37 EDT 2004

On 7/25/04 6:48 PM, "Brian & Laureen Powell" <PowellBrian at omf.net> wrote:

> I was trying to look up the meaning of the word translated in the NIV as
> 'will be established' in I Samuel 24:20 and came across an anomaly.
>
> The word in the Hebrew is W:QFMFH, so I looked up QFMFH in my dictionary
> (TWOT) and it pointed me to QWM as being the root, but none of the
> definitions in that article seemed to refer to 'being established'. So,
> I looked up 'established' in my NIV concordance, and it says the Hebrew
> word in this verse is KWN.
> How did they get from QFMFH to KWN?

Brian,

This procedure does not work. You looked up QWM and then tried to trace it
back from an English gloss and ended up with a different lemma.

BDB has under QWM

7. stand: esp. fig.
    b. = be established, confirmed, of kingdom;

sent a cc to you since my post to b-hebrew may be delayed.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew