[b-hebrew] 1446 BCE Exodus ? Aper = Apiru ?

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 25 19:11:42 EDT 2004

Yigal Levin <leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il> wrote:
> Yigael wrote, inter alia:

"> As a historian, all I can hope for is to date the
Israelites'
> > appearance (by whatever means) in Canaan. All of the evidence for that
> seems
> > to point at about 1200: the Merneptah inscription, the destruction of
many
> > Canaanite cities (though admittedly not all of those mentioned in Josh.
> > 1-12), the arrival of the Philistines and other "sea peoples", the many
> > small settlements that dot the hill country etc. ....">

  Yes, but now let us reexamine the Mernepah term 'Israel", which follows a determinative for non-settled people. It stands to reason that the formation  and existence of any group with a given name preceeded its mention in a stella of another, different power. For such a group to coalesce and attain a status of a recognized ethnicon by neighbors or conquerors must have taken some generations.

  For this reason  some have recognized that non-sedentary Israelites, or Hebrews, must have been in existence before 1200.The historian cannot perhaps state much more than that; we are dealing here with earliest period of Israelite history, which can only be desribed in outline, cf. A. Malamat..

   It is an important point, and  has ramifications in that five, six generatioins backwards one gets to the Amarna period. And that of course opens various possiblities; but we have already discussed those elusive A'biru  (I'm using the transliteration from the tablets originating in Jerusalem ).

  Uri