[b-hebrew] BHS font

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Jul 23 07:14:41 EDT 2004

On 23/07/2004 09:12, Pere Casanellas wrote:

> At 19:22 22/07/2004 +0100, Naomi Vandici wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I wonder which is the font used in BHS4 for the (main)
>> text and whether there is a digitized version of it.
>> Can anybody help? (Sorry it doesn't have anything to
>> do with Biblical Hebrew.)
>>
>> Shalom!
>> Naomi Vandici
>

> It is a special font created to print this edition (see the Foreword
> of BHS, p. XI, section 1). I do not think there is an exact digited
> version of it. Linguist's Software (http://www.linguistsoftware.com/)
> has very good Hebrew fonts and its Hebraica II font has been licensed
> to produce the Biblia Hebraica Quinta. You can look also at the new
> font of the Society of Biblical Literature
> (http://www.sbl-site.org/Resources/default.aspx) and at the different
> fonts listed on my web pages (page 23), see below.

Ezra SIL, a free download from
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=EzraSIL_Home,
is "fashioned after the square letter forms of the typography of the
Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (BHS)" although not intended as an exact
copy.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/