[b-hebrew] qedem

Jonathan D. Safren yonsaf at beitberl.ac.il
Fri Jul 23 04:13:51 EDT 2004

To the ancient Israelite, the past was "qedem", meaning that he could see
it, it was something he already knew, and therefore it was "in front of,
before" him.. Cf. the similar use of the English "before".
On the other hand, the future was "'aharit" (as in 'aharit hayaim,
mistakenly translated as "the end of days"), meaning behind, because one
can't see the future just as one can't see what is behind him.
Therefore, a more suitable translation for 'aharit hayamim would be the NJPS
"In days to come".
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren, Editor
Mo'ed - Annual for Jewish Studies