[b-hebrew] Akhenaten and the Hebrew Religion

MarianneLuban at aol.com MarianneLuban at aol.com
Fri Jul 23 01:41:58 EDT 2004

In a message dated 7/22/2004 8:26:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dwashbur at nyx.net writes:

> > > At this time, the Tanite Dynasty was still strong.  One of their
> number,
> > > Sheshonq I, had conquered Judah and looted the temple.  For that the
> > > wrath of the prophets was directed at Zoan.  I prefer to shave my legs
> > > with Occam's Razor.  The simplest explanation.  However, if you have
> > > another site in Egypt that you think is a better candidate for Zoan, I
> > > would be interested in hearing about that.
>
> The Sheshonq/Shishak identification has been seriously called into question,
>
> and with good reason both linguistically and in terms of time line, but I
> won't go into that.

The Sheshonq/Shishak identification has not been "seriously called into
question" at all.  And there would be no good reason linquistically and in terms of
time.  "Shishak" is a very good approximation of Sheshonq because Egyptian
/n/ was a notoriously weak phoneme that often even disappeared in the writing of
the Egyptians, themselves, for that very reason.  Like /m/, /b/ and /p/, it
often elided into the following consonant in pronunciation.

  Suffice to say that stating such things as if they were  >
> absolute fact shouldn't be done.  The "conventional wisdom" THINKS it's the
> case, but again, we're not certain.

By that logic, everything can be questioned that is not absolutely written in
stone.  However, the conquest of Judah of Sheshonq I *is* written in
stone--and can still be seen in Egypt.

  And apparently you didn't read my final >
> paragraph below, because in it I said I don't really see the need to find a
> "better candidate."  It's clear that I'm not going to get through, so I'm
> out
> of this topic.

In order to "get through" you are going to have to do better than just argue
from cryptic negativity--on any topic.  My guess is that you have been reading
David Rohl.
Have you?