[b-hebrew] Proverbs 21:14 KPH

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Jul 23 01:22:34 EDT 2004

Dave and Trevor:

If KPH had the original meaning of “to bend”, why not mean bending towards, hence resulting in or causing, or even tending towards? Yes, I know that the idea of perverting justice is a bit of an eisegesis, but I see it implied by the hiding of the bribe. The hiding implies that there is something shady about it, something that neither party wants to be known outside of the giver and the givee. Where one finds hidden bribes, there one usually finds perversion of justice, and anger, even strong fury.

The concept of hiding also implies a third party or parties who are part of the transaction, but who are not to be privy to the whole picture, in particular to the reason justice is twisted.

If the gift were to be a sort of MNXH “propitiatory gift” as implied by “bribe” in Proverbs 6:35, there’s no reason to hide it. That’s why I find the idea of bending away, hence deflection, of anger not making sense.

This looks like a case similar to $KX שכח where if we were to take the Aramaic meaning of finding, we would not have the correct meaning in Biblical Hebrew.

Karl W. Randolph.