[b-hebrew] Detained before the LORD 1 Sam 21: 7/8

Brian & Laureen Powell PowellBrian at omf.net
Wed Jul 21 21:19:36 EDT 2004

Greetings all.

In this verse (7 in English, 8 in Hebrew), Doeg the Edomite was said to
be 'detained before the LORD'. Detained here is NE(:CFR. Correct me if I
am wrong, but this looks like the Niphal of (FCAR.

Translations and commentaries in English vary on what this means. Some
suggest he was forcibly restrained (ie. some kind of imprisonment),
whilst others suggest that he had some kind of religious obligation that
was keeping him there, or perhaps he was ritually unclean so could not
perform whatever religious ceremony he had intended to do, so was
waiting for the time when he would have been considered clean again.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Thanks

Brian

--

Brian Powell