[b-hebrew] Proverbs 21:14 KPH

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Jul 21 18:17:39 EDT 2004

To All:

This is a hapax legomai lexeme in Tanakh, do we have any clues as to its definition?

“A gift in secret ??? anger, and a bribe in the bosom (???) strong fury.”

Why is the gift in secret, unless neither the giver nor the givee want it to be known that the gift was made? Why wouldn’t they want the gift to be known? Similarly, a bribe in the bosom is being hidden. Why, if not to pervert justice?  What is the typical reaction when people see injustice being practiced, if not fury?

Hence, from the context, I read this term as having the definition of “excite” or “inflame”.

Is there any clue from cognate languages or elsewhere that would override the contextual clues?

Karl W. Randolph.
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm