[b-hebrew] Another Question About Qadeshah

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Sat Jul 17 18:13:32 EDT 2004

Dear Kevin,

>  I was asked by one of my students why during the time
>  of Eli was the high priestly line transferred from the
>  descendents of Eleazar to the line of Ithamar, since
>  it is obvious that the line of Eleazar continued to
>  have descendents according to 1 Chronicles 6:3-8?

HH: God transferred the priesthood from the line
of Ithamar to the line of Eleazar, not visa
versa. God did not make the transfer immediately
but waited until the time of Solomon:

1Kings 2:26 ¶ To Abiathar the priest the king
said,  "Go back to your fields in Anathoth. You
deserve to die, but I will not put you to death
now, because you carried the ark of the Sovereign
LORD before my father David and shared all my
father's hardships."
1Kings 2:27 So Solomon removed Abiathar from the
priesthood of the LORD, fulfilling the word the
LORD had spoken at Shiloh about the house of Eli.

HH: The genealogy in 1 Chronicles 6 contains only
the line of Eleazar, indicating that this was the
legitimate line.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard