[b-hebrew] Akhenaten and Hebrew religion

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Jul 17 18:38:45 EDT 2004

I'll have to have a look at these. The way I see it is this:
1.Even during Akhenaten's reign, his "special" views don't seem to have been well know in Canaan. As far as I remember (please correct me if I'm wrong here), the Canaanite vassals refer to Akhenaten as "the Sun", "the Bull" and Horus - no references to Aten.
2. Very soon after the death of Akhenaten and his immediate successors, the "Amarna revolution" was pretty much erased from Egyptian history, including the abandonment of the capital at El-Amarna itself. Manetho, for instance, does not mention the whole episode and its re-discovery in the late 19th century was quite a surprise. So the possibility of "Atenism" having any real influence on much later Judahite/Israelite monotheism is very slight. Besides, it seems that "Atenism" was quite far from real monotheism.

Yigal