[b-hebrew] Akhenaten and Hebrew religion

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Jul 16 11:40:55 EDT 2004

On 16/07/2004 17:09, Yigal Levin wrote:

>Excuse me Harold, but just how do you know when Abraham lived in relation to
>Akhenaten?

If we are to attribute any historical value at all to the Genesis and
Exodus narratives, then it is clear that Abraham lived some centuries
before the Exodus, and the latest time for the Exodus suggested by
anyone, as far as I know, is the reign of Rameses II. The implication is
that Abraham must have predated Akhenaten.

If we are to understand Genesis and Exodus as literary constructs with
no historical value, then we have to place Abraham according to the
setting in which the authors place him, which, according to the dates
which these authors have put in their texts, date him around 900-1000
years before David, and so long before Akhenaten.

In either case, Abraham, whether real or fictional, is presented as
living long before Akhenaten.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/