[b-hebrew] Akhenaten and Hebrew religion

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Fri Jul 16 12:09:20 EDT 2004

Excuse me Harold, but just how do you know when Abraham lived in relation to
Akhenaten?

As far as the issue itself, there are two possibilities:
1. Abraham was a true monotheist, just like the Bible says. In this case, it
is improbable that he was influenced by Akhenaten, who was far from being a
monotheist.

2. Whoever the "historical" Abraham was, the biblical character of Abraham
is mostly a creation of later Israelite/Judean writers. In this case, the
question is, what influence did the short lived "Amarna Revolution" have on
the eventual development of monotheism in Israel/Judah. My position would
be - none.

Yigal