[b-hebrew] YHWH's attitude towards zonah

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Jul 16 10:34:02 EDT 2004

On 16/07/2004 14:54, Stoney Breyer wrote:

> [...]
Fair enough as a question. I will not attempt to provide any evidence
from outside the Hebrew Bible and the LXX. But I will look at the
evidence from within it:

There were people known as qadesh and qadesha, sometimes found within
Israel (1Ki 14:24, 15:12, 22:46, 2Ki 23:7) but (at least from the
perspective of the Deuteronomist) incompatible with true Yahwism (Deut
23:17 and the contexts of the Kings references). They were apparently
associated with idolatry (1Ki 15:12) and during a period of apostasy
their houses were in the house of YHWH (2Ki 23:7).

There is a clear association between qadesha and zona, in Hosea 4:14
where the two words are used in poetic parallelism and in Genesis 38
where the same woman is referred to as zona and qadesha, as well as in
Deut 23:17,18 where the context strongly suggests a link, with the
interpretation I gave above.

The LXX renderings of the Hebrew are clear in Deut 23:17,18: PORNH =
(female) prostitute and PORNEUWN = (masculine) sexually immoral; also
Genesis 38:21,22: PORNH three times. This is clear evidence of an
ancient Jewish understanding of qadesh(a) as referring to prostitution.
Elsewhere the renderings are more obscure but some suggest a religious
dimension: SUNDESMOS (1Ki 14:24), TELETH ("mysteries"?) (15:12),
ENDIHLLAGMENOS (22:46 some MSS), KADHSIM (2Ki 23:7), TETELESMENOS
("initiates"?) (Hos 4:14), AGGELOS (!) (Job 36:14).

All of this strongly suggests that qadesh(a) is in fact a reference to
prostitution, and a kind of prostitution which had religious links and
significance. Beyond that, and without extra-biblical evidence, we
cannot be certain, but "temple prostitute" certainly fits well. There is
very little evidence for your theory of a religious role not involving
prostitution.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/