[b-hebrew] Re: [b-hebrew YHWH's attitude towards zonah

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Jul 16 05:58:05 EDT 2004

On 16/07/2004 02:04, Patrina wrote:

>Deuteronomy 23:18 - You shall not bring the hire of a zonah, or the
>price of a dog (?male prostitute), into the house of YHWH your Elohim
>for any vow: for both of these are an abomination to YHWH your Elohim.
>
>Here would have been the perfect verse to mention kadeshah if there were
>any major problems with this.  I think it seems clear that a distinction
>was made in those days between a sanctioned kadeshah, whose services
>would have been available in the temple precincts, and a zonah who
>operates on the highways and byways.

Patrina, here is an excellent example of the principle that you can
prove anything by taking a verse out of context. Look at the previous
verse, which is 23:18 in the Hebrew, and you will find an unambiguous
statement that neither qadesh nor qadesha were sanctioned among the
Israelites. The two verses taken together seem to imply that
prostitution was not completely banned but was to be kept completely
separate from the house of YHWH.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/