[b-hebrew] Kadeshah

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Thu Jul 15 21:11:47 EDT 2004

Dear Dora,

>Some of this is simple Israelite pragmatism.   Judaism has always been very
>down to earth and very pragmatic in its morality.   In a situation where
>there are no good choices or the alternatives are sin or die, one is
>expected to take the course of action that causes the least actual physical
>harm.   I always thought the point of the story was that Tamar made teh best
>she could of a bad situation and did God's will!    The Book of Esther is
>another example of this, and there is yet another example in the Book of
>Ruth - where Ruth "lifts up her skirt" at the harvest festival to the man
>she wants to marry.

HH: The only skirt mentioned in the story of Ruth at the harvest
festival is Boaz's; see verse 9 below. Perhaps the strangeness of the
wording caused you to associate the skirt mentally with Ruth.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard

Ruth 3:1 Then Naomi her mother in law said unto her, My daughter,
shall I not seek rest for thee, that it may be well with thee?
Ruth 3:2 And now is not Boaz of our kindred, with whose maidens thou
wast? Behold, he winnoweth barley to night in the threshingfloor.
Ruth 3:3 Wash thyself therefore, and anoint thee, and put thy raiment
upon thee, and get thee down to the floor: but make not thyself known
unto the man, until he shall have done eating and drinking.
Ruth 3:4 And it shall be, when he lieth down, that thou shalt mark
the place where he shall lie, and thou shalt go in, and uncover his
feet, and lay thee down; and he will tell thee what thou shalt do.
Ruth 3:5 And she said unto her, All that thou sayest unto me I will do.
Ruth 3:6 And she went down unto the floor, and did according to all
that her mother in law bade her.
Ruth 3:7 And when Boaz had eaten and drunk, and his heart was merry,
he went to lie down at the end of the heap of corn: and she came
softly, and uncovered his feet, and laid her down.
Ruth 3:8 And it came to pass at midnight, that the man was afraid,
and turned himself: and, behold, a woman lay at his feet.
Ruth 3:9 And he said, Who art thou? And she answered, I am Ruth thine
handmaid: spread therefore thy skirt over thine handmaid; for thou
art a near kinsman.
Ruth 3:10 And he said, Blessed be thou of the LORD, my daughter: for
thou hast shewed more kindness in the latter end than at the
beginning, inasmuch as thou followedst not young men, whether poor or
rich.
Ruth 3:11 And now, my daughter, fear not; I will do to thee all that
thou requirest: for all the city of my people doth know that thou art
a virtuous woman.
Ruth 3:12 And now it is true that I am thy near kinsman: howbeit
there is a kinsman nearer than I.
Ruth 3:13 Tarry this night, and it shall be in the morning, that if
he will perform unto thee the part of a kinsman, well; let him do the
kinsman's part: but if he will not do the part of a kinsman to thee,
then will I do the part of a kinsman to thee, as the LORD liveth: lie
down until the morning.
Ruth 3:14 And she lay at his feet until the morning: and she rose up
before one could know another. And he said, Let it not be known that
a woman came into the floor.
Ruth 3:15 Also he said, Bring the vail that thou hast upon thee, and
hold it. And when she held it, he measured six measures of barley,
and laid it on her: and she went into the city.